4/2/08

Sun Bather images as promised...

"Sun Bather"
for the Conspiracy theory show "They" opening the 12th

The first image I uploaded of this was fairly small, and I figured I owed it to everyone to upload a better quality image. Unfortunately, the pictures I have all have horrendous flash washout that I haven't been able to remove (if anybody has a good remedy for this I'd love to hear it). Anyway, with the size of the piece I went ahead and cropped out a few details so you all could get a better look.



* * *

On a completely unrelated note, I decided to post another recent group show entry. This one was from a show a couple months ago at the Hive, in which selected artists were asked to paint on 1/10th scale recycling bins. As a part of the show the bins would then be exhibited around the country at different events, which is really awesome now that I think about it.

The piece was a huge challenge for me at first because I couldn't work directly from a drawing. So instead I just started sketching right on the piece with paint and sort of making things up as I went along. I always had a pretty good idea of what I wanted and where I was headed, but it was still a big challenge to play it by ear. This was actually the first piece I've ever done without a preliminary drawing, and I'm actually really pleased with how it turned out.
"Recycled"

In the spirit of recycling I decided to paint my own little Frankenstein's Monster, with a few skulls thrown in for good measure. What I ended up with is perhaps the most disturbing muppet known to man. Disturbing but awesome.

No comments: